Our branch undertakes local historical projects as the need and opportunity arises.
In the past this has taken the form of publications, historical trails, signage, and participation in restorations.
Please see our recent projects below
In the 1890s, Mount Barker miller John Dunn and local doctor Leonard Watkins Bickle donated adjacent parcels of land close to the town centre to be used for public recreation. The donated land has provide green space for the people of Mount Barker ever since. On the initiative of members of our Branch, interpretive signage acknowledging this history has been erected on Mount Barker’s Linear trail.
John Dunn (1802-1894) was Mount Barker’s greatest benefactor. Following the success of his milling business, he shared his success with the town in a remarkable series of charitable donations and bequests. Unfortunately his gravesite has fallen into disrepair and is in urgent need of restoration. Our members have launched an appeal for this purpose, under the auspices of National Trust SA. We hope that the restoration of the grave will help to perpetuate the memory of Dunn’s generous support for the town and its people. Donations can be made from this site.
This project aims to bring to light the history of the Mount Barker area via QR Codes positioned in the landscape and townscape, where they are easily accessible to pedestrians. The project is being sponsored by the Mount Barker District Council and Business Mount Barker.